Monday, August 6, 2012

Ranking the Best Picture Winners: The Top Five



Although I now wish I would have done them all at one time, I held off on revealing my five favorite Best Picture winners in the last post. At the time, I didn’t expect it to be another 10 days before I posted them, but, you know, the Olympics happened, and I stopped having any time to do anything else. But now it’s time, at long last, to finish the list.


I had almost forgotten how great Milos Forman’s adaptation of the Ken Kesey novel was. I had seen on a few occasions before The Oscar Project, and I think I had just started to take its quality for granted. Jack Nicholson has had a long, storied career, but this may be his finest performance; it has to be near the top, at least.

His nemesis Dr. Ratched, on the other hand, was also played to perfection, in this case by an actress, Louise Fletcher, with virtually no other recognizable credits. Both Nicholson and Fletcher won the top acting awards for their roles, but the supporting cast was equally impressive. Three of Nicholson’s fellow patients were played by Christopher Lloyd, Danny DeVito, and Brad Dourif, all of whom went on to have tremendous careers themselves. But the standout performance came from Chief, played (almost) wordlessly by Will Sampson.

The ending manages to be simultaneously sad and triumphant, and everything leading up to it is magnificent. When I watched it again for The Oscar Project, I was taken aback by how good it still was, even after seeing it several times previously. I didn’t know at the time that it was a top five winner, but after some careful thought, I realize this is where it belongs.


Remember how I said in my original post on this film that it’s not even the best Coen Brothers movie? I think that’s absolutely true, and yet I still have it ranked as my fourth favorite Best Picture winner. It’s a nearly perfect movie, having no real weaknesses to speak of. The cinematography is spectacular. The writing is wonderful. The acting is second to none.

It’s something like a miracle that the Coens could create a villain as unfeeling and horrendous as Anton Chigurh and still have traces of the trademark humor expected from their work. Just a couple of months ago, Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin reunited in Men in Black 3. I think it’s a pretty safe bet that No Country for Old Men is a funnier movie, in its own way.

The first time I saw this movie, I didn’t get it. There are parts of it I loved, but I didn’t understand its greatness. Maybe it takes multiple viewings to sink in, or maybe I was just young and dumb at the time, but I now realize the error of my ways. This is a great film.

3. Unforgiven (1992)

I knew as soon as I watched this movie that it would be very high up my list. It was always going to be in the single digits. The only question left was exactly where.

It avoids the typical characterizations of good and evil. William Munny is an older, wiser man when the film begins, but he is forever tainted by the misdeeds of his youth. Same goes for Ned Logan. And what about the sheriff, the so-called protector of the town? He’s not much better, resorting to horrifying brutality to send a message to his citizens.

There are so many layers to Unforgiven, not in the sense that the plot is particularly complicated or anything like that, but just in how many different issues are addressed. There is of course the question of forgiveness, as hinted at in the title. At the same time, though, the film shines a spotlight on the dying West—indeed, it is often a viewed as a commentary on the death of the entire Western genre.

Unforgiven may not have the same reputation as the two Best Picture winners ahead of it, but for my money, it absolutely deserves to be mentioned in the same breath.

2. Casablanca (1943)

When the Sight & Sound poll was released earlier this week, I was somewhat surprised to see that Casablanca was not in the top 50. How could a movie that is so universally beloved not be ranked? Of course, that poll in particular tends to place more weight on films that are deemed to be “important” than those that are generally well-liked, but still.

Maybe it’s the right decision, and maybe it’s not. All I know is that Casablanca is one of my favorite of all movies, a near-perfect exercise in filmmaking. Its quality almost sneaks up on you; well, it would, if it weren’t one of the most famous films ever made. It’s really nothing more—or less—than a great story, incredibly well acted and well written.

Humphrey Bogart received 11 nominations for AFI’s top 100 movie quotes list, five more than any other actor, and most are due to this film. It seems like every line he speaks is world famous, and this adds another level of familiarity when watching.

It almost feels wrong not having it ranked number one. Of course, being number two is no insult when you see that the Number One Greatest Best Picture Winner Of All Time is…….

1. The Godfather (1972)

I know, I know. I didn’t really take a chance with this pick. But some movies, the top two on my list in particular, have earned their reputations for a reason. Francis Ford’s Coppola’s Mafia epic will always be considered one of the greatest movies of all time, and I believe it is the finest Best Picture winner to date.

So much has been written and said about it already that it’s difficult to come up with any unique ideas. People far better versed than me in the history of cinema have devoted entire books to the series. I don’t think this choice requires much justification.

Like Casablanca, many of the film’s scenes are so iconic that, even if you have never seen it before, it will still feel like you have. I know that was my experience when I first watched it a couple of years ago. In the overall scheme of things, Vito doesn’t have that many lines, but almost everything he says is legendary.

People have debated for years about which Godfather film was the best in the series. Don’t get me wrong; I loved the sequel—look where it’s ranked if you don’t believe it. But as far as I’m concerned, The Godfather is not only the best film in the series, it’s the best Oscar winner of all time.

***

Well, there you have it. The Oscar Project has officially concluded. I’ve really enjoyed these past few months, and I’m extremely glad I saw it through to the end. My Olympic hiatus may continue—I’m not exactly sure yet—but as soon as they’re over, my Movies of the Week series will commence for sure. I’m sorry I’ve forced you to go this long without my posts. I know how addictive they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment