Saturday, April 28, 2012

Predicting the First Round of the NBA Playoffs: Eastern Conference


Chicago Bulls (1): vs the Philadelphia Sixers (8)


c: Evan Turner appears to have been granted his one wish but his dream of advancing in the playoffs will most certainly be denied. Philadelphia has a negative chance of winning this series (think about that for a moment). Maybe on Earth Two Philadelphia has enough talent to pull off an amazing upset but unfortunately for Turner we do not reside in that realm. I'll give the sixers a charity game and say they lose in 5.
m: I'd say Evan Turner is overrated, but he's not much of anything in the NBA. He was way overrated in college, and I am still waiting to be impressed. I think the Bulls will clean up these games and get ready for the big boys, but the Sixers have been a surprise for everybody this year, and Rose's injuries could come back to hurt the Bulls a little. Luckily, the rest of team should be able to handle the Sixers. I say 4 - 2, Bulls.




Miami Heat (2) vs. the New York Knicks (7)
  
m: This is the one where 'Melo shows everyone who belongs in the spotlight, right? Or is it the one where LeBron fails again?
c: This is my favorite time of the year. Time to see Carmelo Anthony knocked out in the first round of the playoffs for the 62nd time in his career. With all of the leisure time coming his way, Carmelo should take time to examine the old family tree and make sure that is not related to Tracy McGrady. LeBron puts the team on his back and the Heat win this series in five.
m: 5? No way. Just no way. The Knicks have really been feeling it lately. Tyson Chandler is a defensive monster, and he knows how to handle LeBron in the playoffs. 'Melo does better each month he plays, and he has absolutely risen in upcoming month here. The coach is finally using him right, and he's finally figuring out the system. The Knicks have flexibility moving Amare and Melo around in the post, and have a great 6th man in J.R. Smith. More importantly, this is where we get to see the delightfully green colors of LeBron come out in full force. I'd set an over/under for how many times he defers to D-wade during the fourth quarter, but I'd always take the over. It's only my respect for D-wade that has me not having this be closer, but I'll give it to the Heat 4 - 2.
m:Also, Chris Bosh is literally awful at basketball. Like, he's not good at all. Look for him to get shipped out next year after completely choking these playoffs
c: He is finally figuring out the system? He quit on his coach and got him fired. That was all by design. Let's not forgot how the Knicks got to this point. The Heat are now LeBron's team so I don't think we will see any deference on LeBron's end this year. Should have been Bron's team from day one given that he is absolutely better than D-Wade. As for the Boshasaurus Rex, he is the real-life example of Schrodinger's cat. Bosh is simultaneously underrated and overrated and until we open the box, or watch the playoffs in this case, we won't have a clear answer as to his status in the NBA. All I know for certain is that Chris Bosh is one of the top 25 players in the league.
m: I choked. I just choked right now, when you said that, on my drink. A little bit spilled out over my lip and dribbled down my chin. I sat here, open mouthed. Then I hit a jumpshot. This is similar, but not identical, to Bosh's expected performance in the playoffs. He is not, absolutely not, a top 25 player in the league. Maybe top 50. Maybe if he learns to make it to 7 rebounds a game. I'm looking forward to Amar'e's crippled husk still dominating all over CB.  And can we not forget about the White Assasin, Steve Novak? You know he's going to make it rain some threes one game and snag a game for the Knicks in Miami. Look out for it.


[Note: Due to a shortage of time, we had to finish the conversation. I'll just go ahead and do Carlos's parts, too]
Orlando Magic vs. Indiana Pacers


m: Dwight is out, how is this anything but a four or five game crushing by the Pacers? Though I really hope Van Gundy gets some wins without Dwight. How sweet would that be, after he completely sold his coach under the bus? Nooooo one cares about this game.
c: I agree with everything you say, you're right, totally right. 


Atlanta Hawks vs. Boston Celtics
c: Forget what I said earlier. Joe Johnson is the most overrated player in basketball right now. Josh Smith is going to do Josh Smith like things, which means shooting 20 terrible jump shots and bombing their team out of the playoffs. The games between these teams during the regular season were pretty close, but Rondo is still incredible, and The Big 3 of Ray Allen, KG and the Truth aren't old enough yet. Boston in 6.
m: Joe Johnson has been overrated to the point where he's underrated. Tell me how many other shooting gaurds are better than him right now? 3? 4? And Josh Smith (as my fantasy team will tell you) is actually pretty dirty at rebounding, blocking and overall hustle. The guy is a defensive machine, and he's good for at least 15 pts a game on dunks and putbacks and things. I think this will be a close series, because Boston IS old, but those four guys on there are really, really good and I think they still have something to prove. Boston in 7.
c: Right again, I changed my mind. I owe you $1000.

No comments:

Post a Comment