Tuesday, April 24, 2012

So Much for World Peace



Has anyone seen this?



I’ve seen a lot of hits in basketball, and fights in sports and all that other stuff, but this one really stuck out to me. I think it’s Metta World Peace's face, right before he swings. You can see his face is all hyped about the dunk, and he puts one arm into his chest, and then his other arm starts moving, and he feels Harden, and then he grits his teeth just a little bit and tightens his eyes and completely drills Harden in the back of the head with his elbow. I  couldn’t even believe it.

The fact that MWP went and tried to explain things to the ref, right after he was prepared to fight Ibaka, just throws more dirt on his grave. So does his tweet after the game of “I just watched the replay again..... Oooo.. My celebration of the dunk really was too much... Didn't even see James ..... Omg... Looks bad.” Does he think this will fool anybody? This fake remorse is so, so much worse than no remorse. It’s remorse that he could get suspended more than that he’s hurt anyone. “Looks bad.” Looks bad! Putting that on the end there really clears up any mystery. This isn’t about Harden, this is about getting caught. This is all about MWP, who couldn’t care less that he could have very much given someone brain damage, on purpose, for no reason.

I guess I could half understand it if he stared Harden down after the hit and completely owned up to it. Maybe the two were battling all game and MWP was getting revenge for an earlier dirty hit and this is how he did it, and it was wrong, but don’t mess with me. That’s better than this. But yeah, Metta, it was a real nice gesture to send out one tweet an hour after the game explaining things. I’m glad you’re so sorry.

When I play basketball, and I accidentally hit somebody and they go down, I drop everything and start apologizing and seeing if they’re ok. This is what people do when they accidentally hurt someone. This was a completely cold, calculated move designed to really, really hurt someone, and I don’t think the five-game suspension people are suggesting he’s going to get is nearly enough. Someone I read mentioned that if this happened outside the basketball arena, it would be assault and he’d be arrested. I don’t see why they haven’t done this already. I don't see why he's still in the league.

-Mike

1 comment:

  1. Better question: has anyone not seen it? Isn't it haunting everyone's dreams? SportsCenter can't stop themselves from showing it over and over again. I especially love it when they play it in slow motion.

    ReplyDelete