Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Oscar Project #70: Titanic (1997)



I realized a couple of things while watching Titanic today. One, it was the first (of only four total[1]) Best Picture winners that I saw in a theater. Two, it came out 15 years ago. Holy schlamoly I’m old. It pains me to remember things so clearly when they happened a decade and a half ago.

It’s also a perfect showcase for the best and the worst of James Cameron. From a technical standpoint, it is incredibly well made. The cinematography, set design, and special effects all hold extremely well all these years later. But the actual screenplay, despite having a number of memorable, canonical lines, falls flat most of the time. Especially when Old Rose is speaking near the end, it sounds more like she’s reading a poem than actually speaking.

Of course, she was pretty old, and I guess she’d had plenty of time to think about it. Still, it seems like Cameron’s characters rarely talk like actual human beings. I think that’s why the Terminator films work so well. Arnold can get away with talking like a machine because he is a machine. When Edward Furlong says those horrible lines, not so much.

Just as fair warning, I’m going to spoil everything there is to spoil about this movie. I figure if you’re the type of person who would read this post, you’re probably the type of person who would have already seen Titanic, probably multiple times. But if not, this is your opportunity to go research the rock formations in the cave you’ve been living in instead.

Ok, now that that’s out of the way, I have several issues with this movie, most of which are nitpicks, but they’re the kinds of things I think about when I watch it. First of all, the film uses the diamond as an excuse for Rose to narrate the story. But if they set it up that way, they should be consistent. On many occasions, we are privy to conversations and events that Rose was nowhere close to. How could she know, for example, what the captain and crew were saying to each other after they hit the iceberg? She was running around with Jack.

Don't worry. We'll meet again in Revolutionary Road.
And isn’t Rose a de facto murderer? On two separate occasions she gave up a seat in a lifeboat, two seats that could have gone to other passengers. But no, she has to wait until the boat is being lowered before saying “Just kidding!” and hopping off. By then, it’s too late for anybody else to take her spot. That’s not very considerate, Rose. You could almost look at it like her evil Billy Zane fiancĂ© did a great deed. He did pick up a kid that wasn’t his to con his way onto a lifeboat, but in doing so, he saved the kid’s life! That’s good hustle from Cal.

Finally, they didn’t try very hard to get Jack onto the floating door at the end of the movie. They made one abortive attempt, and when it started flipping over, Jack just gave up. I’m pretty sure if they would have arranged themselves differently, he could have gotten on too. I mean, as far as their relationship was concerned, it’s just as well that he died because their thing never would have lasted, but I still think he should have given life a chance. His heart would go on eventually.

As much as I criticize and make fun of this movie every time I see it, I do understand why it was (and remains) so immensely popular. It’s because people really like big boats. Also Leonardo DiCaprio. I guess he had something to do with it. While it’s true that many good movies came out in 1997, a great of deal which I think were “better” than Titanic, I have no problem at all with it winning Best Picture. Titanic-mania swept the nation that year. It was the first movie to make over a billion dollars at the box office. “My Heart Will Go On” was #1 on the charts for something like 493 weeks in a row. Even if some other movie had won, it would have always been the defining film of that year.

Even I appreciate the importance of this movie, despite being critical of its actual quality. I was glad to have watched it again; I don’t believe I’d seen it from start to finish since those two days in the theater 15 years ago. I had already started the Oscar Project when the 3D edition was released in April, so I had to exercise all my willpower and wait until now to see it. It’s too bad, really. I’m sure seeing dudes fall 100 feet into a propeller would be awesome in the third dimension.


[1] The others were Return of the King, The King’s Speech, and The Artist. I didn’t want to leave you hanging. Maybe they’ll call the sequel to the second of those films Return of the King’s Speech

No comments:

Post a Comment