Monday, July 23, 2012

The Oscar Project #84: The Artist (2011)



I think the symmetry between the first and most recent Best Picture winners is absolutely perfect. Way back in 1927, Wings became the first film to win the top award at the Oscars, and as it turned out, it was the only silent picture to ever win… until this year.

Yes, in some sense, The Artist is not a true silent film. There are moments of sound and even color in the movie, but I have to imagine it’s the closest we’ll ever get to it again. And in another fitting connection, The Artist was set in 1927, the year Wings came out. I know this symmetry only exists because I happened to choose to do The Oscar Project this year, but it almost seems pre-ordained.

I do have to admit that I prefer this year’s winner to the first one, as much as I’ve defended the quality of some (thought definitely not all) of those early winners. But that’s mostly because The Artist is a very good film, finely crafted and well-acted. It didn’t win because it was a gimmick. I wouldn’t say it was the best movie of 2011—that title goes to Drive, based on what I’ve seen from last year—but it was certainly one of the best.

It’s very strange to me that some people argued that The Artist would win because it was the “safe” pick. I have no idea how, in 2011, a silent, black-and-white movie that was financed at least in part by a French studio qualifies as safe. Sure, it’s a Rich People Problems movie and a period piece, but with the exception of The King’s Speech last year, even that’s become a rarity the past decade or so.

A certain co-owner of this blog often argues that the acting in older movies was fundamentally worse than it is today, since it focused less on realistic behavior and more on over-exaggerated gestures and facial expressions. But that’s really just a byproduct of not being able to talk. I would argue that, like writing metered verse, it requires at least an equal amount, if not more, talent to perfect. Without their voices to express emotions, silent actors had to carry everything on their visage.

And this was the crux of the problem for Jean Dujardin’s character, George Valentin, in The Artist. With his mischievous smile and dashing good looks, he was born to be a silent star. But his heavy French accent makes him a liability when talkies become big. His young protégé Peppy Miller (Berenice Bejo), on the other hand, becomes an instant sensation.

Meanwhile, Valentin fights a losing battle trying to keep his silent career afloat. He soon finds himself bankrupt and even unable to pay his loyal assistant, Clifton (James Cromwell). I spent the entire movie trying to figure out who Cromwell reminds me of, and I wonder if that has a lot to do with his appeal. He looks the kind of guy anybody might know and love. Without saying a word, he comes across as immensely likeable, and it’s easy to understand why Valentin would keep him around.

Uggie won for Best Supporting Doggie.
A surprisingly svelte John Goodman appears as a studio executive, and he also seems like he was born to be a silent star. But the real star of the movie, in my estimation, was Uggie the Dog. Now that he’s retired and I won’t take him away from any film roles, I’m really tempted to steal him. 

Like I mentioned earlier, there are a couple of scenes that prevent this from being a “true” silent movie, but they’re so expertly done. When Valentin finally realizes that talkies are the way of the future, he dreams that he is sitting in front of his mirror, and suddenly he (and we, the audience) hear everything. Uggie is barking. Girls are laughing outside. The items at his desk make noises. He is unable to make any sound himself, though. He’s trapped in silence while the world moves on without him. It’s a brilliant symbolic scene, and it’s a perfect metaphor for the situation he finds himself in.

I imagine the very fact that The Artist is silent will stop a lot of people from watching it, and that’s too bad. It really is a fine film, and it deserves to be seen, even if it is just some artsy French thing.

After three months, my journey is complete. I watched Wings on April 1. The first Oscar Project post went up on April 23, and now, exactly three months later, it has come to an end. It’s been a lot of fun—most of the time, at least—but all good things must end. I won’t miss the stress of “having” to meet a daily deadline, but it’ll be weird no longer having this goal to achieve.

I’m going to spend the next few days writing recap posts, starting with a regular “interlude” post about the last decade (well, 12 years in this case), and then I’ll rank them all in order from favorite to least favorite, which may very well turn out to be the most difficult task of the whole project. After that, I’ll take a break for about a week before returning with regular posts, which will mostly consist of my Director/Genre/Franchise of the Week series.

Thanks for reading, everybody. I hope you’ll stay on board for the next set of adventures on Hashtag World.


No comments:

Post a Comment