Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Oscar Project #73: Gladiator (2000)



This isn’t necessarily a complaint, but I feel like I watched Gladiator just a few days ago, except back then it was called Braveheart. That might seem like a strange statement, since they’re set over a millennium apart, in different parts of Europe, and have very different storylines. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but it just seemed like there was a sameness to them.

Both films feature lots of extra bloody and gory swordfights, and the main character in each is seeking, at least in part, to avenge a loved one’s death. Yes, those are characteristics that a lot of different movies have, but these in particular have a similar “feel” to them. Maybe it’s because they both star a huge action star who’s not so well liked in real life. Maybe I’m just crazy.

Nevertheless, taken on its own, I thought this was a highly enjoyable film. Normally I don’t care too much about the brutal fight scenes, but these were well crafted, and unlike, say, The Hunger Games, the edits and camera movements didn’t happen so fast that I couldn’t keep up with what was going on. That’s a huge pet peeve of mine in many modern action movies.

As with Braveheart, I was one of the few people left in the country who had not yet seen Gladiator. I knew about a lot of scenes because they had seeped into popular culture, such as “Are you not entertained?!” and the battle against Creepy Mask Guy and the tigers, but I really didn’t have a clear idea of what the movie was actually about.

Basically, Maximus Decimus Meridius, our titular gladiator, is a great general in the Roman army, and the current emperor, Marcus Aurelius[1], plans to pass down the throne to Maximus instead of his son, Commodus. Upon hearing this plan, Commodus murders his father and assumes power himself—Marcus never had a chance to tell anybody else about his desire to disinherit Commodus. He orders that Maximus and his family be killed; Maximus escapes, but his wife and son are slain.

After learning of his family’s fate, Maximus is taken by slave traders and forced to become a gladiator. Because he is such a talented killer of men, he becomes a fan favorite, and he realizes that this is his opportunity to avenge his wife and son.

I’m at a point in The Oscar Project where I sort of feel hesitant to spoil anything. I mean, this movie came out 12 years ago, and I figure the vast majority of people who are interested in seeing it already have, but you never know. Anyway, I won’t go any deeper into the plot than I already have, except to say that a whole lot of people get killed in those arenas.

That's an extraordinarily creepy mask.
I’ve never been a huge fan of Russell Crowe, but I think he was perfect for this role. He just emits the right vibe, and it’s easy to take him seriously as this fearsome warrior. What interests me is why he has to trade his Australian accent for a British one. I guess it wouldn’t make sense for one dude to have an Aussie accent, but the real question is, why does everybody have a British accent to start with? Shouldn’t they be speaking Latin? And if you’re not going to do it in Latin, what difference does it make what their accent is? It’s not going to be “accurate” anyway. In The Last Temptation of Christ, Judas sounds like he’s from the Bronx. It’s a little jarring, but it makes just as much sense as speaking English in any other way. 

That was sort of a tangent. Back to the point. I was also impressed by Joaquin Phoenix’s super creepy portrayal of Commodus, the unhinged usurper of the throne. I’m starting to think it’s not too much of a stretch for him to play this kind of weird, sinister role. On a sadder note, this was the final film role for Oliver Reed, who died before filming was complete. 32 years earlier he had also been in one of my least favorite winners to date, Oliver!, but I’m convinced he got that role just because of his name. And because he was Carol Reed’s nephew, probably. Probably more because of the latter reason.

Next year’s winner, A Beautiful Mind, is of note partially because it is the only time in the history of the Oscars that two straight Best Picture winners have had the same lead actor. A few others, including Walter Pidgeon and Meryl Streep, have appeared in consecutive winners, but each was in a supporting role in one of them. Russell Crowe is the top guy in both films, and he also garnered acting nominations for both roles, though he only won for Gladiator. Not a bad couple of years, I’d say.


[1] Who I quoted in my high school valedictory speech. The film was pretty new at the time, so now I wonder how many people thought I drew inspiration from it. I had no idea until I started watching it last night that Aurelius was even in the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment