Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Oscar Project #44: The French Connection (1971)



I have an interesting relationship with The French Connection in that I’ve never seen it before, but I’ve written about it. More specifically, I’ve written about Pauline Kael’s review of it in The New Yorker. Kael strongly disliked the movie, claiming that it was “what we once feared mass entertainment might become: jolts for jocks.”

My opinion wasn’t as harsh, but she was right about at least one thing: it was one of a few films that came out around this time that had a common theme. This, Dirty Harry, and Walking Tall were all made in the early 1970s, and all concerned law enforcement officials that had to go against the wishes of higher-ups to catch the villains.

You can make up your own mind about why there were so many films of this variety coming out at the time, but some common explanations were that they were reactions against the Nixon administration, or the war in Vietnam, or in some cases, a reaction against the reactions against the two aforementioned topics. Kael also described Dirty Harry as “fascist,” and Walking Tall doesn’t exactly contain the most liberal themes in the world.

Or maybe it was a coincidence. Or maybe studios just realized that this kind of movie was popular with the movie-going audience and made more. In any case, this genre has come to be seen as emblematic of the early 1970s as a whole.

Personally, I thought it was pretty good, though a little different from what I expected. The story in The French Connection is told almost entirely through visuals. Dialogue is sparse, and it’s used only when absolutely necessary. There are so many scenes where you see Popeye Doyle (Gene Hackman), the police officer trying to crack the case, just waiting and watching. Words are unnecessary. We see what he sees.

Brody recruits Doyle to help with a shark problem.
And then there’s the car chase. Far and away the most famous scene from the movie, that car chase is always the first thing I think of when I hear about this film. I can understand why it’s held in such high regard. Its appeal is not primarily based on insane stunts or fast-paced editing. It’s exciting because there are stakes involved, and the movie has given us reason to care whether or not Popeye catches the criminal. I’m not even the type of person who really likes car chases, either.

Of course, I’m also happy about any movie that makes French people be the villains. I’ve always said (by always, I mean I made it up right now) that France is the Boston of countries. They’re not necessarily evil, but there’s just something inherently distasteful about them. Unfortunately, I’ve just disqualified myself from ever being president.

William Friedkin directed The French Connection, and his next film was The Exorcist. All in all, it was a pretty successful couple of years for him. Sadly, he didn’t do much of note for another 30 years (unless you count Cruising as being “of note”). That being said, he did direct Shaquille O’Neal’s big screen debut, Blue Chips, so that’s got to count for something. That’s how Shaq got the nickname “The Big Stanislavski.”

I think this was a nice lead-in to The Godfather. It’s a nice, taut[1] thriller that sneakily gets you really involved. I started out wondering when something was going to happen, but then, all of the sudden, without even realizing it, I was really into it. That’s all I can ask for, really. With several of these Best Picture winners, I’ve watched the end credits roll[2], still wondering when something was going to happen.


[1] I know this is a cliché, but I still like to refer to taut thrillers.
[2] Well, not so many. End credits are a relatively new development, as far as The Oscar Project is concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment