Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Oscar Project #47: The Godfather Part Two (1974)



Before I get into The Godfather Part Two, a caveat/boast: I passed my thesis defense today. What this means for the blog post is that I am writing it on a very strict deadline. It’s a shame, too, because it probably means the writing won’t be so good, and I really wanted to have something profound to say about this movie.

Ok, so maybe I never have anything profound to say about any movie, but this film is better than most, and it seems like it would lend itself to some kind of Great Writing. As magnificent as it was, though, I still have to argue that the original film was better. This is by no means a slight against the sequel, just an acknowledgment that The Godfather was one of the greatest movies ever made, and it’d be hard to top.

The Godfather Part Two is in some sense a continuation of The Godfather, in that it spends most of its time focusing on Michael’s ascent to absolute power over the family. In addition, though, there are multiple flashbacks to the life of young Vito Corleone, this time played by Robert De Niro. Some have described the stories of Vito and Michael as being parallel; there is some truth to this, but I would argue that their timelines are going in opposite directions.

Vito started out with nothing except the desire to be something great. He watches his parents be killed by a Sicilian Don, and he goes to America to escape certain death himself. Eventually, as we all know, he becomes the Godfather. Upon assuming this role, Vito becomes a kind (well, to an extent) and wise man.

Michael, on the other hand, originally has no desire to continue his father’s business. He goes to college, then joins the Navy. Only after the assassination attempt on Vito does Michael take up the cause of the Corleone family. But unlike Vito, who mellowed with age, Michael only becomes more vicious and paranoid as time goes on. Sometimes it serves him well, sure, but whereas Vito died as a beloved old man, Michael seems completely villainous.

I knew it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart.
It’s an interesting comparison. It’s not like Vito was a good guy, really. He personally killed at least two people, and he certainly ruled his territory with an iron fist. However, at the same time, he treated his family well, and he did favors for others as often as he demanded favors be done for him. That’s really what separates him from Michael. For Michael, power is the number one concern. He loves his family, sure, but he tends to neglect them in favor of business concerns.

It’s rare that I can’t think of a single negative thing to say about a film, but both Godfather movies have fallen into that category. They’re as close to perfect as you can get, and I don’t use that word lightly. Learn from my mistakes. Don’t wait so long to see this movie.

Again, I apologize to my loyal readers for having to rush through this post, as this film deserves much more attention than I’ve been able to give it. Perhaps I’ll revisit it at the end of The Oscar Project; there’s no doubt it will end up in the top tier of my overall favorite Best Picture winners. But for now, I have to hammer out some final edits for the thesis.

You understand. It’s all for the good of the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment