Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Oscar Project #38: The Sound of Music (1965)



As was the case with West Side Story, I watched The Sound of Music several years ago in a high school music class, so I didn’t exactly relish the idea of watching it again. It’s a good movie, but I don’t love it to the degree that many others do. Fortunately, I found that it was still enjoyable upon a second viewing.

It’s hard to imagine a movie star more likeable than Julie Andrews. At the time this movie was released, she was in the middle of a spectacular run. She won Best Actress for being Mary Poppins, won a Golden Globe for The Sound of Music, and was nominated for another Golden Globe for Thoroughly Modern Millie. Add the box office receipts for these films to her critical acclaim, and you have a pretty successful four year period.

If you’re the type of person to read The Oscar Project, you almost certainly know the plot already. Andrews, a nun, becomes governess for the Von Trapp family (she specializes in child rearing, apparently), falls in love with the man of the house, and then helps the family escape the Nazis. Oh, and everybody still knows all the musical numbers today, 47 years later.

And I mean everybody. If you were to ask an adult to fill in the blanks of “The hills are alive with ________” and they weren’t able to tell you “the sound of music,” wouldn’t you automatically be suspicious of that person? I’d immediately assume he was an alien or maybe a Soviet spy[1]. After its release, it became the highest grossing film of all time in absolute terms, making $286 million in 1965 dollars. In other words, a 3500% profit on its $8.2 million budget.

Say what you will about its quality, which is fairly high in my opinion, but it has unquestionably become part of the film pantheon, up there with Gone with the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, The Godfather, and so on in terms of name recognition. Everybody in America knows it, even if they haven’t seen it.

I’m worried that this will come across as gushing, though it’s not meant to be. I think The Sound of Music is a very good movie, but not a great one. My point is simply that I was amazed by how pervasive the film is into pop culture, even all these years later. Some of them, such as “My Favorite Things,” I had forgotten originated in this movie (well, really in the stage production, but you get the point).

There's no way these kids are that good at puppeteering.
As a fearless and intrepid reporter of facts, I also feel compelled to point out that while Liesl, the oldest of the Von Trapp children, sang about being “16 going on 17,” the actress who played her, Charmian Carr, was actually 22 going on 23 at the time. I hope this revelation doesn’t ruin your enjoyment of the film. Charmian Carr Fun Fact #2 is that she became an interior designer after she gave up acting, and Michael Jackson was such a fan of the movie that he hired her to work on his house. The more you know.

As I’ve watched these last few musicals, there’s been a lingering question on my mind. I’ve never felt like there’s been an appropriate point of transition into the topic in previous posts, so I’m just going to force it in here. When talking about sound in film, there’s diegetic sound (which can be heard by everyone, even the characters on screen) and non-diegetic sound (which can only be heard by the audience, such as narration and the film’s score).

In musicals, is the musical accompaniment to the songs considered to be diegetic or non-diegetic? Often there doesn’t seem to be any source for the music, but there’s also no logical explanation for how everybody knows all the words to the songs, either. If the characters can hear the music, then where is it coming from? If they can’t, then are we to assume that everybody just sings a cappella all the time? These are the kinds of questions that keep me up at night.

That has nothing to do with the quality of the movie, of course, but you already know what the quality of this film is. This kind of movie is both easier and harder to write about because I can assume that almost everybody is familiar with the basic story, but at the same time, it’s difficult to find anything new to say. Next year’s movie is A Man for All Seasons. I’m willing to bet slightly fewer people have seen that one. I assume it’s because Orson Welles never breaks out into song. Which is too bad, really.


[1] This is still a thing, right?

2 comments:

  1. And by "several years ago," you mean over a decade, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will say that Earth has occulted itself around the sun at least 11 times since I last watched it.

    ReplyDelete