Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Oscar Project #61: Rain Man (1988)



Rain Man is one of that handful of Best Picture winners I’ve seen multiple times, so there was a nice sense of familiarity when I watched it again. Like Forrest Gump, which I’ve seen probably more times than any of the others, it’s one of those that’s always on TV, so even if I haven’t seen it from start to finish more than once or twice, I’ve still seen all the scenes on several occasions.

I don’t think there’s anything particularly great about this movie, but it’s perfectly enjoyable. Tom Cruise hadn’t quite reached his peak yet, and Dustin Hoffman was already a well-established fixture in Hollywood. I think they work very well together here. Hoffman, of course, won Best Actor for his portrayal of the titular Rain Man, the autistic savant Raymond Babbitt, putting him in the elite group of actors who have won multiple Best Actor awards.

Cruise’s performance was effective, if not spectacular, and at least he made up for Valeria Golino’s terrible acting job as his girlfriend. Granted, I only know her from this and the Hot Shots! films, but I’m just completely unimpressed by her talents.

You likely know the story already, but Charlie Babbitt’s (Cruise) estranged father passes away, and he discovers that the entirety of his father’s $3 million fortune will be going to the brother he doesn’t know exists. When he finds his brother Raymond and realizes that he has no concept of money, he, in effect, kidnaps him and plans on keeping him until he gets the money for himself. As they drive across the country from Cincinnati to Los Angeles (Raymond won’t fly on any airline except Qantas[1]), however, they start to develop a bond, and Charlie doesn’t want to give him up after all.

I’m no expert on autism, but I feel like Raymond is shown in a generally positive light, and I’ve often heard that this film is responsible for bringing the first major public attention to the condition. It’s also argued that this portrayal is responsible for the misconception that all (or at least most) autistic people are savants, but I think this is an unfair criticism. It’s even stated in the film that Raymond is particularly high-functioning, so even if that belief did begin with this movie, the writers bear no responsibility for it.

Kim Peek, the real life Rain Man
As I watched the film again, I began to realize not only how much of the film has become embedded in popular culture, but also how much it’s ingrained in my personal vocabulary. I first heard of Qantas from this film, but I can’t even think about Judge Wapner or K-Mart without thinking of Rain Man. And don’t even get me started on how many times I’ve called myself an “excellent driver.”

The one real concern I have with the film is how quickly Charlie transforms from a horrible, despicable human being into a nice, caring brother. That he could develop a bond with his brother, despite his condition, is believable. That he becomes a completely changed man is not. I think it takes more than a six-day, cross-country road trip to change your fundamental personality.

Still, it’s hard not to like the movie at a very basic level. Rain Man is an unforgettable character; like all truly great actors, Hoffman has a way of making you forget that he’s Dustin Hoffman. He’s just Raymond Babbitt, an autistic savant, and his real-life persona never gets in the way. The back and forth between him and Charlie provides high comedy as well as some genuinely touching moments. This may not be Great Art, but it’s still highly successful in almost all areas. And really, what more could you ask for out of a movie?


[1] Incidentally, even today, 24 years later, Qantas has still never had a fatal jet airliner crash.

1 comment:

  1. One thing I find particularly interesting about Rain Man is that the "inspiration" for Charlie's character, Kim Peek, was not autistic... food for thought?

    ReplyDelete