Saturday, May 12, 2012

Chris and Mike Watch a Scary Movie: The Last Exorcism


This picture never happens in the movie. Neither does anything interesting.
Chris and I decided to do a column where we stay up late and watch a scary movie from our houses at the same time, and chat during. Tonight's feature: The Last Exorcism, starring a shaky cam, questionable fathers, surprise-murdering brothers, and Abalam. This is pretty much one big spoiler.

Me:  Ok. It is pitch black in my room. There is a window DIRECTLY BEHIND MY HEAD with no curtain, so if I turned around I could easily see the demon behind me. I’m seriously freaked out right now. I have brushed my teeth. I am all ready to go. This is much worse for me. You don’t have to listen through headphones. Headphones are much worse. My heart rate is elevated.
Chris: If this is too much for you…What if you vomit? Will we need to pause? And my headphones won’t reach. This is the documentary one. Every movie we watch is found footage, remember? Chronicle, Project X, etc.
Me: how fast is this guy going to die? i'm calling 5 minutes
 Chris:  No way, dude. This is the main character. Maybe.
 me:  it is? i thought the mainy was a woman
 Chris:  I don't know... I don't really have any recollection of the trailers.
 me:  bible noogie!
 Chris:  Kroger brand Coke is the grossest of the store brands, for the record. I would punch this guy in the face.
The main guy
 me:  THE PRINCE OF LIES. We have our protagonist. I keep expecting him at any second to like, spit blood. He sounds more like an auctioneer than a preacher, or a used car salesman
 Chris:  People who try to act like they're not acting are more unbelievable than people who act like they're acting.
 me:  YES. i was thinking this but you put it into good words
Of course he has an ancient book, only 20 in the whole world. why wouldn't he?
 Chris:  Well, he's had exorcists in his family. He's done 150 of them.
 me:  that's legit. is he like, the jordan of exorcists? game 6, has the flu, casts out 56 demons?
 Chris:  He's more like the Brian Jordan of exorcists. Solid career, journeyman, nothing special.
 me:  DONT OPEN IT
why would the vatican admit to some exorcists but not all of them?
WOAH KID. WHAT IS THAT VOICE
 Chris:  I was trying to answer but got distracted by the kid.
 me:  is...he a normal child or am i a terrible person
 Chris:  I think the Vatican doesn't want to acknowledge how deep the problem runs.
It's possible the pope is actually a demon.
Oh, he's deaf.
You're a demon, Mike.
 me:  oh ok, i am a terrible person. i feel SO bad right now
 Chris:  Can you imagine, right now, how scary it's gonna be when that deaf kid is possessed by Satan?
 Chris:  Satan is the Jordan of demons.
 Me: or is he like, the dr. naismith?
 Chris:  God created Satan, so he's Naismith. Or maybe Phil Jackson?  Dean Smith? Is anything scary ever going to happen?
 me:  that kid talking was scary
 Chris:  I mean scary to people who aren't already going to hell.
 me:  hmm. then no
 Chris:  This guy deserves all the horrible things that are coming to him. Just because of that smirk.
 me:  that was a -I just saw an alligator smirk
 me:  THATS MY SON. i wrote that before he said it, i swear
 Chris:  Are YOU possessed by Satan? Is he looking in through your window right now?
 me:  that is the least funny thing you've ever said
 Chris:  And then next thing you know, you're vomiting pea soup everywhere.
 Chris:  She looks possessed. This is about to get scary.
 me:  im getting creeped out. her eyes are freaky. i bet her wife WAS KILLED.


Nel.
 Chris:  At the casting call, do you think they picked her out because she doesn't have to act to look possessed by Satan?
 me:  yeah, i bet they put it in the ad - like, hey, it will help if you already look possessed
 Chris:  I always wonder about stuff like that. Some roles call for an extremely ugly person. Do they advertise that?
 me:  they have to, they aren't going to waste their time
 Chris:  But doesn't that hurt their self esteem?
 Me: not if they make millions of dollars in a hugely successful film
 Chris:  And the most famous ugly person role I can think of went to Charlize Theron in Monster.
They didn't even want an actual ugly person. I bet ugly people were really mad.
 me:  i'm like, 100 percent the end of this movie ends in BLACK
 Chris:  What if they solve all their problems and successfully cast out the devil?
 me:  i guess yay?
 Chris:  There'd be no reason for it to go BLACK then.
 me:  THE WATER IS BOILING
 Chris:  Alka Seltzer?
 me:  "do you not read latin?!?!?!" WHAT A DICK. he said that in the most dickish way
 Chris:  In Louisiana, you're lucky if you can even read English.
 me:  touché. yeah i was pretty sure he threw something in there. so i guess in this movie he's all like, lol i'll do all my old tricks and then "fix" her even though i proved on camera it was all my BS
 Chris:  I have a feeling the joke will be on him.
 me:  i have a feeling i'm really freaked out
 Chris:  Did you know they're doing a sequel to this movie?
 me:  the Last last exorcism: for real this time
 Chris:  The Last Exorcism Again? The Final Exorcism? The Laster Exorcism? They really are doing a sequel, though. Something bad is about to happen. I know it.
 me:  i think they might do one more "oh look he got them" scene, and then at night shit goes down. this is still scaring me.
 Chris:  He's gonna THINK it's all fake, but then something "real" will happen.
 me:  i am keeping my eyes on this cat. my hackles are raised. how are you not scared?
 Chris:  I keep seeing these glowing red orbs through the window.
 me:  HES ELECTROCUTING HER
 Chris:  This guy's a big fat phony. Ooh, Ulysses S. Grant says those demons won't be coming back. Who pays people in 50s, anyway?
 me:  it's all about the benjamins. what? is he faking? oh, he is/. I AM SO SCARED CHRIS. something is going to HAPPEN
 Chris:  But nothing has happened!
 me:  but its GOING TO
 Chris:  Are you sure?
 me:  yes
omg
omg
 Chris:  He's back in his hotel!
 me:  i can't take this
 Chris:  No worries.
 Chris:  Evil murderers are way scarier than demons and spirits.
 me:  no, no, no
 Chris:  Because they're could for real be an evil murderer looking in through my window right now.
 me:  OMG SHE FOUND HIM
 Chris:  Uh oh.
 me:  chris. i can't do this. this was a bad idea
 Chris:  Should we stop?
 me:  how did she get there?
 Chris:  She probably walked. PEA SOUP!!!!
 me:  CHRIS THIS MUSIC. i'm turning my light on…or maybe i shouldnt
 Chris:  DON'T. You'll SEE all the demons.
 me:  it will illuminate the closet door that's halfway open
 Chris:  In the dark, you can pretend like they're not there
 me:  or i can pretend like they're right about to grab my arm. why couldnt we have picked a monster movie, or killer movie
 Chris:  I thought you wanted something SCARY. Do you want to know my secret? I'm not even watching the movie. I've got Jimmy Fallon on right now.
 me:  if this is true, i will hate you forever. we will no longer be friends
 Chris:  That would be really funny, but Jimmy Fallon makes me way more uncomfortable than this movie.
 me:  what's wrong with jimmy fallon?
 Chris:  So many things. His face.
 me:  he's funny! kinda
I'm coughing and i cough up phlegm and now i'm wondering if it's demon phlegm or pea soup or whatever
 Chris:  Is it green and chunky? Is your head rotating 360 degrees? That's a big clue.
 me:  if my head started to rotate, the scariest thing would be that i would be looking out the window. who knows what's out there right now?
 Chris:  I was just finding what's outside your window.http://bit.ly/aaRSBl
 me:  That is now the least funny thing you've ever done. i thought you'd be cool and send me a puppy or something
 Chris:  Like this? http://bit.ly/IDzNPr
 me:  that was a nazgul which is awesome and not scary
 Chris:  Nerd.
 Me: creepy music starting
 Chris:  That's what Google thinks you want when you search for "scary wraith." I don't hear any music.
 me:  wow, who searches for "wraith" - NERD
Seeing this is never a good thing
 Chris:  Wraiths are the scariest of the supernatural creatures. OMG SHINING MOMENT
 me:  CHRIS SHES STANDING
CHRIS
 Chris:  GIRL STANDING IN HALL
 me:  this is not good. my hackles are raised
hacklesssss


 Chris:  She's about to use the mandible claw on somebody!
 me:  DONT FOLLOW HER
...is she splashing in the water?
 Chris:  Drown that doll!
 me:  that was the least scary demon thing you can do
splish splash in a bath
OMG HIDE THE CAT
THAT CAT IS NOT GOING TO MAKE IT
 Chris:  Some demon is gonna pop up in those mirrors at some point.
 me:  shes PREGGERS?!
 Chris:  INCEST?!
 me:  taking an incest break
 Chris:  I'd be so happy that the documentary crew was there.
 me:  SHE HAS THE CAMERA
OMG
OMG
no
no
 Chris:  YES YES YES
 me:  i'm closing my eyes
CHRIS
 Chris:  Into the barn we go.
 me:  ...why would a demon get a camera?
how do they know how to use it?
The last known whereabouts of Mr. Jingles
 Chris:  KITTY!
 me:  NO NOT THE CAT
 Chris:  Poor kitty...
 me:  wouldn’t she talk in latin?
 Chris:  Did the doc crew just LEAVE THEIR EQUIPMENT lying around?
 me:  who says here kitty kitty. that's so lame
 Chris:  Kitties don't understand Latin.
 me:  she's definitely carryng a boom stick too, and some lights
 Chris:  Hold on, hold on... I need to get an establishing shot real quick.
 me:  yeah, real slow, zoom feature. demons know the value of good cinematography
 Chris:  They're all gonna die.
 me:  “i mean, she is a 16 y/o girl. easily overpowered”
 Chris:  SATAN is not easily overpowered.
me:  i mean, i know how ridiculous this movie is, but i'm still seriously very anxious and scared
 Chris:  Who's filming now?
 me:  is that the cameraman's first line of dialogue?
 Chris:  Oh Christ!
 me:  why can't she ever just lay down on the bed
 Chris:  No, the cameraman was talking a minute ago.
 me:  HES STANDING BEHIND YOU
 Chris:  About how dangerous she is.
 me:  HES IN THE ROOM WITH US
if she says either of those things, i'm losing it
 Chris:  I hear creaking above me because Aaron's in his room. It always happens when something scary's gonna happen.
 me:  i know! my cell phone blinked, and i lost it
 Chris:  Do we find out at the end that it's not really a demon?
 me:  did they pick her name to be nel because it's close to hell?
AND WHAT DOES THAT LINE MEAN?
 Chris:  He's gonna kill her himself!
 me:  "if you dont save my daughter's soul, i will" ??
Chris:  Just do it, man! Let's get this over with.
 me:  did another cat just die? it sounded like it
 Chris:  I hear a recorder!
 me:  is she playing the recorder and slamming herself into the door?
 Chris:  SITTING ON BED!
 me:  that's serious talent
i will lose it
if she jumps out
CHRIS
i can't take a jump right now
 Chris:  That's a cheap scare, though.
 me:  do you put it past this movie?
Get down from there right now, young lady. 
 Chris:  How about sitting on dresser?
 me:  ok, better
but i bet she still screams and jumps at them
SCREAM JUMP
JUMP BITE
SEE
 Chris:  JUMP!
 me:  SEE
 Chris:  JUMP!
 me:  SEE
 Chris:  JUMP!
 me:  NO NOT ANOTHER JUMP
one is enough right? no, they calmed it all down again. another is coming. a bigger one
 Chris:  Two is better than one! I learned that watching Extreme Rules last night.


 me:  now here's the thing -- did the documentary crew go back and edit the scary violin music in LATER?
like wow, this real thing that happened was really scary, let's throw in some dark noises and creepy violins to hit our true story home
 Chris:  Ooh, the ol' scarecrow! That's a good question. So that means somebody survives, right?>
 me:  then how do we see it? or does nel the ol' oscar winnning cameraman take it to hollywood?
THATS THE SEQUEL: Nel goes Hollywood
 Chris:  We see it because the documentary crew survives.
 me:  at this point, you pick up a baseball bat
 Chris:  I think she's got a future ahead of her, for sure.
 me:  and you just go after nel
i'm feeling a jump
JUMP
 Chris:  JUMP!
 me:  I CALLED IT
 Chris:  Then why did it scare you?
 me:  OH NO LEWIS
 Chris:  Slow walkin' rifleman! To the rescue!
 Chris:  I had to turn it down to keep from waking the roommates.
 me:  that's not fair. LEWIS. DONT DO IT. something tells me this exorcism will not go well
 Chris:  They just left her in the barn?!
 me:  why would you go in the creepy barn?
 Chris:  I feel like we're back in the Walking Dead when Daryl was torturing the guy from the other camp. All chained up in the barn.
 me:  oh man, he is going to get sooooooooooo messed up. the crew is editing scary sounds again
 Chris:  They're just editing like crazy in general.
 me:  wow THAT is nasty
 Chris:  How many cameras do they HAVE?
 me:  neck bones cracking are nasty. like, if i see a normal person who is not possessed crack their necks i get pretty creeped out.
OH NO
JUMP COMING
JUMP IS COMING
jumpjumpjump
CHRIS
 Chris:  Nell's in hell!
 me:  the writers were so proud of that one
 Chris:  Haha, all her fingers.
  me:  she didnt need those dude
 Chris:  Her fingers would heal, broseph!
 me:  that was a terrible move, and this is from the michael jordan of exorcists!


 Chris:  This movie opened at #2 in the box office and grossed $67 million. That's not bad.
The other shoe's gotta drop, right?
Logan: dated a demon girl, it wasn't for him.
 me:  it has to! but not during the day. woah, Hell-oooo stud
 Chris:  He's GAY?!
 me:  "im not exactly interested in....demon girls"
 Chris:  That's a great defense in general, though.
 me:  yeah. see? night time
 Chris:  We only have like 10 minutes left. Something better happen.
 me:  i like how it took 8 hours to drive to a cafe and head back. no chris, why cant we just let it be
 Chris:  Abandoned house!
 me:  i am fine with the big reveal being that logan is gay. that was a real shocker!
 Chris:  They're SO dead.
 me:  OMG DARK HOUSE
 Chris:  NOOOOO!
 me:  JUMP
 Chris:  PENTAGRAMS
Me: why would you GO INTO THE WOODS
 Chris:  It's the safest place! They've gotta find Nell. Turn off the light!
 me:  i guess as long as she's screaming she cant sneak up on you
 Chris:  Satanic ritual?!
 me:  SECRET DEVIL WORSHIPPERS GATHERING
 me:  is that the antichrist?
 Chris:  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
 me:  BURN IT
 Chris:  No, doc crew! You can't bail!  Axeman!
 me:  THAT WAS REALLY RANDOM
 Chris:  AND BLACK!
 me:  see, when a human who is not possessed does the killing, my heart rate calms
 Chris:  ANNNNNNNND BLACK!
 me:  RUN. Oh, there he is. Caleb!
 Chris:  And black!
 me:  BLACK
turning lights on now
 Chris:  Christ that sucked.
 me:  i am still scared
 Chris:  Watching it was fun, but WHAT WAS THAT ending?
 me:  that ending completely sucked
 Chris:  I'm so mad that the demon baby looked like it was made of flamin' hot Cheetos.
True story: Richard Montanez worked as a janitor in a Frito-Lay factory where he came up with the idea for Flamin' Hot Cheetos. He took it to the executives, who loved it. It's now Frito-Lay's top selling item, and Montanez  is now the head of Multicultural Sales & Community Promotions for the North American sector of PepsiCo.

No comments:

Post a Comment